Many of you by now have heard about the flu vaccine shortage here in the US. Please do not be alarmed. For those of you in the high risk groups, health care providers, very young and elderly, immune compromised etc. there appears to be priority selection. The question is really if the flu vaccine is BEST for you even if you are in these higher risk groups. If you have a concern, please feel free to discuss it with me at your next appointment.
As prevention of getting the flu should be our focus, here is a review of some basic prevention measurements all of us can take as the flu season approaches.
- Wash hands often.
- Cover mouths when sneezing, and or coughing.
- Do not go to work if you are unwell. Please get examined if you have questions about your illness. And if in positions of authority, send
unwell workers home and/or to the doctors office.
- Take the immune supporting medications to hasten your recovery and minimize symptoms prescribed by a physician. Do not self diagnose
- At a minimum, take a daily multi-vitamin/mineral ( and all other supplements prescribed from this office.)
- Exercise regularly. (Wash hands often at the gym!) The old staying “if it is above your neck it is OK to exercise.” Not necessarily.
- Stay hydrated with water. The winter months are dryer.
- Eat a diet high in fruits and veggies, fiber, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and quality proteins.
- Take prescription medications as prescribed.
For those of you who spend a lot of time in and out of airports here are some additional recommendations:
- Take 2 droppersful (60 drops) of the BIOSTIM tincture 3 times on the day before, the day of, and the day after your flights, both on the arrival and the return portion of your trip. If you get symptoms take the tincture up to 4 times/day for up to 10 days. (BIOSTIM is available here at the office.)
- Also wash/clean your hands frequently. Carry hand wipes.
- Ask to be relocated if someone sitting close to you is coughing, and/or has obvious signs of illness.
Finally, if you or someone you know has the flu, encourage them to be under the supervision of a physician. We have available natural medications that may make the person much more comfortable by minimizing their discomfort and maximizing healing and recovery.